The “Friends of Centenary and West End Parks Group” is a voluntary organisation open to all residents of Airdrie. We have a committee of 10 volunteers, and hold regular monthly meetings at Airdrie Town Hall.
These meetings are open to the public.We welcome anyone who is interested in the work which is undertaken by the group and we are presently actively seeking new committee members. The group was formed in January 2004.
The aim is to work with the local authority and local community to improve and reinvigorate the environment and infrastructure within the park. This will encourage more people to participate both recreationally and socially within the park and to regain the area for the residents of all ages and abilities The meetings last for approximately an hour. Discussion takes place on what we would like to do to develop and improve the Centenary and West End Parks.
By deciding on projects we then seek funding from various sources. We are also involved in the implementation of approved projects. The Parks The two parks are situated in the west end of the burgh of Airdrie, separated by the A89, which is a main route from the west to Bathgate and Edinburgh.
West End Park
The park covers 1.6 hectares and is set out as a formal garden. It was originally the municipal refuse tip and was laid out in 1908 after a gift of £900 from a major landowner Sir John Wilson. This garden contains beautiful shrub borders, rose beds and a recently restored historic monument erected to a former provost, Robert Hamilton. There is also a centennial commemorative flowerbed adjacent to the flagpole.
The “Four Seasons Garden” is proving a very popular area for formal photography, and has become a venue for Weddings, the replacement of old rose beds with a modern design beds of shrubbery gives all year round colour.
This is a less formal park covering an area of 2 hectares. The park, along with the land adjacent to the Cenotaph, was gifted to the people of Airdrie in 1921 to commemorate the anniversary of Airdrie receiving Burgh status in 1821. The park contains three children’s play areas catering for all age groups and abilities, public artwork, wildflower garden, sensory garden,wildlife pond, and a Victorian railway viaduct that has dramatic themed projections of light during the winter months. A programme of replacing the gravel paths with fit for purpose surfaces and lighting has provided a new circular walk within the park.